Learn Shopify Theme Customization for 2023
Creating a Restaurant Menu Section
Awhile back someone asked me how to go about making a restaurant menu, using the Shopify dawn theme.
My first thought was that each menu could be a collection of products (food items). Next, I began experimenting with the dawn theme to see if we could accomplish this by using existing sections.
I found while you could use the featured collection & collection list to display a kind of menu, it just did not seem that customizable out of the box.
So I decided to a create a custom restaurant menu section and share my process here. Hopefully, it’s helpful to others and I am always open and welcome feedback.
What I Will Cover in This Tutorial
- How to use Tailwind CSS with Shopify for styling.
- How to manage state with Alpine JS.
- How to create animations with Tailwind & Alpine JS.
- How to create custom liquid sections
- How to create a reusable snippet
- How to use settings & blocks in sections for theme customizations.
- You can download the code for this tutorial here.
Getting Your Development Environment Set Up
Setting up a development environment for your first time can be challenging, but you can do it!
While I am not going into great detail about setting up a local development environment, I will link to some helpful resources.
- Node 14.17.0 or higher
- Shopify CLI